** MOVE SETTING FROM OLD TO NEW COMPUTER?

PhoneTray Free: Questions & Answers

Moderators: force, Cybernet

** MOVE SETTING FROM OLD TO NEW COMPUTER?

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi,

I just purchased a new computer. It has Windows 7 and I had windows XP on my old computer.

I have a couple questions.

I have installed Phonetray free on my new system, however I was wondering if I can get my Privacy manager and settings from my old phonetray free.

I was hoping to save everything to my seagate external HD and copy them to my new computer? any ideas, or if this is even possible?

I currently have version 1.31

Now for my Final question.

I do not have a modem installed currently on this computer. On my old unit I had an internal v92 modem. It worked fine.

Can I simply get an external modem and plug into my usb?

If so, any ideas on a decent external modem?

I really appreciate any help you can give.

Have a wonderful day & thank You. :D

Postby force » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:46 pm

Someone else here will have more info on this than me, but here are my two cents until they respond...

Privacy manager and settings from old phonetray to new phonetray is possible, as far as I understand. But you must have your new phonetray program completely closed/exited before doing the migration. So, first, make sure you have completely exited your new phonetray installation by right-clicking on the tray icon and choosing 'shutdown phonetray'.

Then, copy your phonetray data files from your old hard drive location to your new/present hard drive location. I think this varies based on which version of windows you have. But in general, you are looking for these files:

Calllog.csv (the log of all calls you have received to date)
Names.csv (the names of your callers if you customized any)
Privacy.csv (your privacy manager settings)

On my Win7 64-bit system, these files are located under C:\Users\Public\Documents\PhoneTray\. I think on Windows XP, it would be something like C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\PhoneTray\.

Again... to summarize.... close/shutdown your current phonetray program. Then, copy the files listed above from the correct folder on your old hard drive to the correct folder on your new hard drive.

Traysoft's recommended modem list (including external modems) can be found here under the sticky section at the top of this forum listing. It seems that their recommended external modem is the Hiro V.92 56K External USB Modem, model# H50113 (Caller ID and Voice).

force
force

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:42 pm

Thanks force, your answers are 100% correct. We recommend Hiro USB modem http://www.phonetray.com/modem.htm Please use drivers listed in Recommended Modems topic.
Michael,
Traysoft Inc.
support@traysoft.com
www.traysoft.com
Michael
Site Admin

Thank You!

Postby Neilyum » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi folks,

I just wanted to say "Thank You" for both the question and the answer!

I too have a new PC w/Win7 and wanted to "import" all my names/numbers/settings from my old XP PC. I'm happy to say that everything is working great (so far) and I'm enjoying my PhoneTray Free once again! :D
Neilyum

Zoom USB 3095

Postby Neilyum » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:21 pm

I almost forgot to mention:

I got a great deal on a Zoom Mini External USB 3095 Modem, and it works great with PhoneTray Free and Windows 7!
Neilyum

Return to PhoneTray Free